Chilli con carne is another great camping dish. You can make a large pot of it as needed, add more or less seasoning to taste, and it’s a warm filling meal.
There are many recipes for chilli, and personally that’s what I Iove about this dish. There is always room to experiment a little, and it never gets boring for me. This recipe utilizes a lot of the traditional ingredients, and is with beef. But turkey mince is a great leaner option and tastes just as good if you ask me.
The only drawback is the long cooking time, if that’s a drawback at all. With the tasty aroma you will be cooking up, don’t be surprised if someone nearby comes over for a taste!
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 400g minced beef
- 400g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 400g canned kidney beans
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- pinch of black pepper
To avoid the flatulence (farts), rinse your canned beans with water. Trust me, you should probably do this. I know the power of canned bean juice.
Chilli Con Carne Directions
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onion, shallow fry for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the mince, cook until lightly browned through.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, chilli pepper, and black pepper. Add these to your own preferred taste.
- Allow to simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney beans and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, still stirring occasionally.
- The chilli con carne is ready to serve, accompanied with rice.
Chilli Con Carne is a versatile dish. Add sour cream, cheese, or even a chunk of chocolate while cooking. It’s a fun dish for all the family to be involved in, and enjoy the results. Although it has an overall cooking time of more than an hour, most of it is simmering. Leaving you to prepare the rice, or any other food. Click on the camping stove links to get the best stove for your next trip.