Hot dogs round the campfire or camping stove is about as good as it gets, right? There are a few different recipes to make them more interesting, but this is one of my favorites. Grilled Hot Dogs are quick, easy, and involves bacon and cheese, what’s not to like about it!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8 slices of bacon (smoked, unsmoked, cured, up to you)
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 8 beef hot dogs
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ cup of barbecue sauce
- 8 hot dog buns
Grilled Hot Dogs Directions
- Give the plate a little oil and preheat your outdoor grill until medium to high heat. For the best cooking practice I recommend having the grate about 4” from the heat.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Cook to your preferred method, however I generally brown the bacon on a medium heat without letting it get crispy. Drain on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Place the hot dogs onto the grill and cook until brown. This should take between 5 – 8 minutes, turn them a few times to cook even.
- Lightly grill hot dog buns, a warm bun is much more satisfying.
- Assemble the hot dogs; place a slice of bacon and cheese first, add a hot dog, garnish with barbecue sauce and red onion.
Another easy to make, tasty, fun, recipe. If you have any vegetarians you can easily substitute the meat products for veggie options. Likewise with any of the garnish ingredients, you can use different sauce if you have a favorite. Hot dogs are a fun option for all the family, there is something for everyone.
If you have any other variations on the classic grilled hot dogs recipe, I’d love to hear it. I may even make it and let you know what I think, or even feature it here for others.