Another family favorite is this macaroni and cheese recipe. These amounts are for a generous serving for two, but you can easily adjust it if you want to make a bigger batch.
You can make a head start on the pasta at home if you’re the prepared type. Then you can use some pasta for this dish and some for a tuna pasta bake if you’re really organized. A 2 burner camping stove will make your life a lot easier, but I will leave it up to you to command your outdoor kitchen!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2 cups macaroni
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Gooda cheese, grated
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can also add any number of vegetables to this mix for a little green bonus. Broccoli is one of my favorites. Just cook the vegetables over medium head until their color changes (5 minutes or so). Then add to step #5 below.
How does caramelized onions sound? Here’s a great mac and cheese recipe from A Pinch of Yum.
Macaroni and Cheese Directions
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packaging. You can do this at home before leaving if you want to get a jump start on this part.
- Hopefully you have a large pan with you, because that makes this a whole lot easier. Whisk the milk and melt the butter together. Then whisk in the flour a tablespoon at a time and until the consistency thickens up.
- Stir in a blend of the cheeses until melted through, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and allow to cook through for around 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Top off with extra cheese and bread crumbs, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve up warm and enjoy.
This is a quick and easy recipe that tastes great. There isn’t too much room for error, but a little tip – if the milk and flour is not thickening up add a little cheese to the mix. Depending on the heat of the pan it can sometimes take a while to get to a good texture, don’t stress over this too much.
I love playing around with flavors depending on what I have spare, I often add some mustard to this recipe, so that’s worth a shot if you have some.
Anyway, hope you try this macaroni and cheese recipe out and enjoy it. Leave me a comment below if you have any feedback, thanks!